On the 1st July the New Zealand teachers 'Code of Ethics' will be replaced by 'Our Code, Our Standard', a code of professional responsibility and standards for the teaching profession. The new code serves to outline a common understanding of professional expectations and a high standard of ethical behaviour. The core principles are set out under four commitment statements: commitment to the teaching profession; commitment to our learners; commitment to parents/caregivers and family/whānau; and commitment to society. It also gives examples of how we might demonstrate each principle.
Hall (2001) states that teachers are being faced with new ethical dilemmas and more complicated ethical decision-making, due to the ethnic diversity and moral pluralism in New Zealand society and the blurring of socialization roles of families and schools (p. 2)
Technology, in particular social media, has also made it increasingly more challenging to keep professional and personal lives separate and has added another layer of complexity.
This social media infographic shows the vast number of platforms that are now available.
![]() |
| NZ Education Council retrived from http://www.teachersandsocialmedia.co.nz/ |
As we become increasingly 'connected' to each other, it is important that teachers are aware of their on-line identity and the digital footprint they are leaving. A growing number of employers are turning to the internet to research potential employees, thus making it vital that our on-line identity mirrors who we are off-line. The New Zealand Education Council has a helpful set of guidelines for ethical use of social media.
For this blog post we have been asked to identify an ethical dilemma within our own practice and critique the ethical issues that arise from the dilemma.
While I sit here considering what to focus on, I am stuck by another dilemma... Is it ethical to publicly blog about this?
Living in a small community, where people are easily identifiable, a blog post of this nature could have the potential to impact negatively on both the people involved and the school community as a whole.
Using Hall (2001) set of guiding questions and the new code of professional responsibility and standards, I have considered the issues that might arise as a result of publicly blogging about a specific ethical issue relating to my practice.
The new code and standards state that teachers should show a commitment to the profession, by 'demonstrating a high standard of professional and personal behaviour' and 'engaging in professional, respectful and collaborative relationships with colleagues'. Teachers should also show a commitment to parents/caregivers and family/whānau by 'engaging in relationships with them that are professional and respectful' and a commitment to society by demonstrating 'a high standard of integrity' (p.12). By blogging about a historical ethical issue that occurred within our community, it may portray a colleague or community member in a negative light and has the potential for public opinion of that person to be altered. Is this fair and just? My moral compass tells me it isn't.
My previous Mindlab blog posts that critically reflect on my community of practice, professional context and our schools cultural responsiveness, were carefully considered. I took great care to ensure that I gave an honest reflection, while still being respectful to my colleagues and the community I serve.
Over the past month I have been struck by the brutal honesty of some educators when completing their blog posts. Comments have been made which have painted colleagues a negative light, some of whom have been identify as the Principal of their school. This makes it very easy to work out who they are discussing. Are these reflections perhaps overstepping the mark? I wonder how the people would feel if they read these comments?
Ethical or not?
References
Connecticut’s Teacher Education and Mentoring Program.(2012) Ethical and Professional Dilemmas for Educator: Facilitator’s Guide. Retrieved from http://www.ctteam.org/df/resources/Module5_Manual.pdf
Education Council. (n.d). Our Code, Our Standards. Retrieved from
https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/developing-code-of-professional-responsibility
Education Council. (n.d). The Education Council Code of Ethics for Certificated Teachers. Retrieved from https://educationcouncil.org.nz/content/code-of-et...
Hall, A. (2001). What ought I to do, all things considered? An approach to the exploration of ethical problems by teachers. Paper presented at the IIPE Conference, Brisbane. Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Culture/Developing-leaders/What-Ought-I-to-Do-All-Things-Considered-An-Approach-to-the-Exploration-of-Ethical-Problems-by-Teachers
Education Council. (n.d). Guidelines for ethical use of social media. Retrieved from https://teachersandsocialmedia.co.nz/sites/default/files/resources/Guidelines%20-%20ethical%20use%20of%20social%20media_0.pdf

HI Steph
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading your blog, thank you for sharing your journey. I too have concerned by peoples posts when they reflect on different areas.
I absolutely agree with your viewpoint, Stephanie. I am rather behind with my blogging and so at the moment my work is sitting as a word document and I am mulling over posting them publicly and I will not post the ethics one and the one about school culture. I have my own ideas and viewpoints on these issues but these could be very different from another colleagues. Like you I am from a small community and feel uncomfortable broadcasting my personal views to a large group, even if they are fellow professionals.
ReplyDeleteI like your bravery to express what you believe. I too, live in a small community where everyone knows everyone and had to think carefully about my blogs. The culturally responsive blog was one that I re-wrote three times because my first two were bound to offend some key figures at my school. Fortunately for though I am one of the best Maori language speakers and historians in the school, so I can throw stones in my own glasshouses. Good on you from bringing this point up. I am sure that you will get more responses, which is a sign of a good blog post.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your response, I really appreciate it. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has struggled with the ethical dilemmas that these weekly tasks have posed.
DeleteThanks for your thoughtful Blog post Stephanie. I have also thought long and hard before I have posted anything. I was also surprised at how open some posts have been. As educators, we should always protect the good name of our schools and our Principals/Management & Colleagues. If you are unhappy about anything this is a conversation to have behind closed doors - this is the 'code of ethics' held at our school anyway! Ethical dilemmas certainly sit in a grey area!
ReplyDeleteBy the way - throughout my blogging activities, I have shown them to my Principal before publishing them just to cover myself. :)
Thanks for your comments Sharlene. What a sensible idea to run your blog posts past your Principal. Good on you! It shows the great deal of respect you have for your school and your community.
DeleteI whole heartedly agree Steph. There are times when a person is tapping away on the keyboard and they can be brutally honest. It is vital that individuals reflect on what they post prior to uploading. Good idea Sharlene to show them to the principal prior to posting.
ReplyDeleteI feel some peoples careers will be affected by the ethics of using social media appropriately.