Saturday, June 24, 2017

Social Online Networks - Mindlab Week 30

According to the New Zealand Teachers Council "...social media embraces web-based and mobile-based technologies to facilitate interactive communication between organisations, communities and individuals".

Education council. Retrieved from http://www.teachersandsocialmedia.co.nz/what-social-media



















Since moving to Central Otago in 2012 my use of social media has grown considerably. I was already a "connected educator", however the professional isolation I felt when moving from a city to a small township made the need to connect even greater. No longer did I have easy access to the vast number of professional development opportunities that a city offers. Most courses and workshops involved travel to either Queenstown or Dunedin and the number on offer was significantly reduced.  

My desire to keep up to date and to grow professionally made me look for online options that would fill this gap. For the past four years social media has played a large part in my professional learning.

Melhuish (2013) states that "social network sites offered a way for, often geographically separated, people to connect with and learn from others who were previously inaccessible" (p. 39).


It was during the 2014 New Zealand Connected Educator month that I was first introduced to Twitter and I have been a fan ever since. Twitter has helped to grow my professional learning network through the connections I have made with national and global educators. The connections have positively impacted on my classroom programme, with students participating in both national and international quadblogging, participating in a 'travel buddies' project and connecting with an international film maker, as a result of my interactions on twitter. It also provided me with a way to share my eFellows research with a wider audience.

Twitter has changed the way I note take at conferences. No longer do I sit there with pen and paper, scribbling furiously. Instead I have my tweetdeck open and keep an eye on the conference hashtags and PLN feeds, whilst I 'tweet' key points. I will often use Storify to create a timeline of shared tweets. This type of collaboration I find extremely valuable.

In 2016 I was part of the National Aspiring Principals’ programme, which used both My Portfolio and the VLN groups network as platforms for group members to connect and share with each other.  These two social media platforms provided spaces for the group to discuss
questions related to each learning module and debate key issues. While the programme had a number of face-to-face regional meetings and a national three day hui, the programme was largely self-directed and was enhanced by the conversations of members within the online spaces. Online facilitators encouraged deeper reflection and provoked further discussions.

I belong to a number of groups within the VLN and regularly connect, share and participate in discussions and webinars, connecting with educators across the country to explore a variety of educational issues. I have found the discussion forums within the 'Enabling E-learning group' especially valuable and they have provided me with much food for thought.

I am also a member of several educational facebook groups, but I am very selective as to which groups I join. The groups I belong to are largely focused on best practice, sharing research articles and engaging in conversations that relate to improving practice and supporting learners.  


For me, there are many benefits of using social media as a professional tool. It allows me the flexibility to learn "any-where, any-time". It gives me the freedom to join groups of interest and connect and learn alongside other educators both nationally and internationally.  However, due to the vast number of online spaces and amount of information being shared, there is the danger of becoming over-whelmed.  Melhuish (2013) states that "...the management of information flow requires a discipline and clear-sighted focus on learning purpose". Melhuish also indicates that the self-directed nature of online learning "... requires a particular set of personal competencies and dispositions, both towards learning itself and towards the management of the tool and the digital literacies" (p.39). 

I believe it's really important to be selective about which professional online spaces or groups you join and to ensure that they meet your needs. 

I wonder.... 
  • Does social networking offer a more effective alternative to traditional professional development?   

Given my positive experiences with social online networks, I would argue that perhaps this is a valid option for many educators who are motivated, self-directed learners, who desire the flexibility to determine their own learning pathway. Connections that are formed in these spaces are often ongoing, whereas connections made during traditional professional development are situational and the dialogue often ends with the PD.

When I consider my engagement with the Mindlab postgraduate course, it is the second half of the course that I have enjoyed the most - 'Research and Community Informed Practice' and 'Applied Practice in Context'. This is largely due to the self-directed nature of these papers, which suits my learning style and has allowed me to fit my study in around family commitments.

References

Education Council. (n.d). What is Social Media? Retrieved from http://www.teachersandsocialmedia.co.nz/what-social-media


Melhuish, K.(2013). Online social networking and its impact on New Zealand educators’professional learning. Master Thesis. The University of Waikato. Retrieved from http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10289/8482/thesis.pdf?sequence=3&isAllowed=y

8 comments:

  1. WOW! Congratultions Steph you have embraced social media over the last few years. I am on the journey, but much slower. I use Edmodo for NZ Read Aloud, Fcaebook to connect with families and PD on the teachers pages and Google classroom. I would love to learn more about Twitter as a classroom tool. I enjoyed Kathy Cassidy's video. How do you use Twitter in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like to explore kidschatnz, - a weekly twitter chat for NZ schools. It is an excellent way to connect with other students from around NZ. The twitter chats run each Friday from 11.30 -12.30. Discussion questions are posted on the kidschatnz blog, so that classes can discuss them prior to the chat. This week's chat was around Matariki. You can find out more on their blog and there is a link to sign up.
      bloghttp://kidsedchatnz.blogspot.co.nz/

      Delete
    2. Jumping in, Jolly Jolliffe we could also be using this: WW2 Tweets from 1945
      @RealTimeWWII ‏on twitter as well for our ALL groups at school. These historians are tweeting things in chronological order from world war 2. I think some of our ALL kids would be keen on that if we set them up with twitter accounts.

      Twitter chat could also be a thing we get into every Friday too.

      Keep up the good work Stephanie. You seem to have built up a bit of a following already. Ka pai, choice.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Steph I have looked at kidschat and am going to give it a go next week. I have set up a class Twitter account now.
      Are you as well Niheta Veale?

      Delete
  2. Wow Steph, your blog has inspired me to rethink where I am at, and realize that it is maybe the finding of the professional who is connected and inspired to connect with to move forward with possibilities instead of concerns, problems and what ifs putting a brake on progress. I do feel overwhelmed and read your blog twice to see beyond "overwhelmed" to wanting to connect to be inspired further. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, Thanks for your comments. I agree that it can be very overwhelming at first, as there are so many different options.
      My advice is to try one new thing that you think might be of value to you. Good luck :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks Stephanie. I have learnt heaps from reading your post. I hadn't heard of Quadblogging before and now I'm really keen to give it a go. Which blogging platform do you use with your class and how old are your students? We currently have a class FB page for sharing with parents but I'm wondering if this would be sufficient. I have a year 1/2 class so individual blogs would be too onerous. I also love the idea of a travel buddy programme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, I use blogger with my class - NE - Yr2. I have been using the same blog for the past 5 years. I tag posts with children’s names so that they can easily access examples of their work. My class blog is http://clyderoom6.blogspot.co.nz/
      At the beginning of each year I encourage parents to sign up to follow our blog, which means that they receive email notifications when the blog has been updated.
      Children are really motivated to put their draft writing on the blog and love getting feedback. I try to post photos each week so that children can go home and share what they have been learning with their parents. The pictures serve as a starting point for discussion.
      If you have a look at the right hand side of my blog you will see links to our blogging buddy classes. Our quadblogging group has been running for several years now. The group was formed within the VLN quadblogging site. I was lucky enough to connect with some great teachers and as our experience was so successful we decided to keep blogging together.
      The great thing about blogging is that it gives the children an authentic audience for their work. My class also love looking a the visitors traffic feed to see what countries have been viewing blog.
      I absolutely love blogging with my class and would highly recommend it. Good luck

      Delete